This village was once inhabited all year round. We can find on many farms stone lintels, testimonies of the presence of "Kegnes and Frahans" (masons and stonemasons).
Its chapel (1684) is dedicated to Saint François de Sales.
Start: Place du Gros Tilleul, Samoëns
Map reference: topo-guide Vallée du Haute Giffre
From the Place du Gros Tilleul (planted in 1438), pass between the church and the Mairie (town hall), turn right behind the Ecuries du Chateau, then left. Continue along the path that once led to the Château de la Tornalta (destroyed by the Valaisans in 1476, the ruins can still be seen at the top of the Jardin Botanique de la Jaÿsinia), which runs along the wall of the Jardin Botanique, then past the imposing Simon farmhouse (towards Chantemerle).
After crossing the road, take the magnificent shady path, lined with low drystone walls, which leads above the hamlet of La Grangiat to the village of Les Combes (at the village exit, note the oratory built in 1754).
Continue along the wide gravel path that was once the access road to Chantemerle.
Cross the village and follow the signs for La Rosière.
A path, then a narrow road, leads to the hamlet of Les Chosalets. Shortly before this, turn right in the direction of "Samoëns par la Forêt des Suets" and follow the path up through the meadows.
At the edge of the forest, turn right onto a logging road that climbs to the ruins of a chalet.
The path descends fairly quickly towards the village of Chantemerle and crosses a path at "La pierre du dînna" (dinner stone). Follow this path to the left through the beautiful, game-filled forest of Les Suets.
The path enters a reforested area and offers splendid views over the Vallon plain, the Pointe de Sales and the Mont Blanc chain. It then takes you back to the hamlet of La Grangiat.
At the Pleignes cross, you can return to Samoëns via Levy (straight ahead) or via the path taken on the outward journey (turn left).
Itinerary for information only.